Sunday, October 31, 2010

Roasted Acorn Squash: An Illustrated Guide

Tonight is Halloween, meaning that I've gone the whole of the month without posting a new recipe.  Bad, bad Dani.  But I happy to be able to now share with you one of my all-time favorite foods, the acorn squash!  Catch me on a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday in autumn (Union Square Green Market days) and, likely as not, I'm probably packing several pounds of acorn squash in my bag.  What to do with them?  I'm glad you asked!

Step one: Admire the perfection of the squash form.



Step two: Slice squash in half and remove seeds and stringy innards.  Be careful not to cut yourself—the squash skin can be pretty recalcitrant.


Step three: Place squash halves in a glass casserole dish and fill just the bottom of the dish with water (1/4-inch depth).  This will prevent your squash from drying out while baking.


Step four: Put a small pat of unsalted butter, a sprinkle of brown sugar (about 1 tsp.), and a dash of salt into your squash halves.


Step five: Put your squash in a 400-degree F oven for about an hour, possibly a little longer if it's a big squash.  The waiting is killer.


Step six: Take your squash out of the oven; it should be nicely browned on the top.



I could (and frequently do) eat this every day, I love squash so much.  I hope you do too!  Happy eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment